Small group leader checklist
Checklist before every session
- Make sure everyone has enrolled for the series, using the provided coupon code. Direct members to enroll here.
- Make sure everyone has downloaded and printed out the workbook. Remind everyone to have it with them for the session.
- For in person gatherings, have the host set up and test internet connection to this site. Consider connecting a laptop to a larger screen if possible. Test the sound and playback for the video segments.
- Have a timer and note the time allotted for each non-video segment. Keeping the small group on track time-wise is a key function of the small group leader.
- Allocate time for other aspects of the small group experience that are not covered in the sessions (e.g. ice-breakers, announcements, celebrations, chatting, extra prayer time, etc.). Each session is designed to run approximately one hour.
- Preview the segments to get a sense of the flow of the session (in your preview, you don’t necessarily need to watch the videos in their entirety). Check session specific instructions below.
Tips for remote sessions
- We strongly encourage that everyone participate in the same mode (remote or in person). We have found that hybrid participation (where some people are remote and others are in person) can lead to frustrating experiences for both kinds of participants.
- Set up a video conference function (i.e., Zoom, Google Meet, etc.) to host all non-video segments. Zoom is best because it provides breakout functionality. However, you will need an account that allows for 1 hour+ meetings (the free version only allows for 45 minutes).
- Make sure everyone is logged into this site, and knows to click “Complete and Continue” after every segment.
- Participants should watch the video segments on their own computer with video conference on mute. Playing video via one person’s screen share will likely cause a poor playback experience for everyone. Everyone should start watching the videos at the same time, so that people will be ready to connect for the other non-video segments at the same time.
- Prepare to setup breakout rooms for smaller discussion groups during the session. If you have never done this, we recommend practicing doing this at least once ahead of time.