Small group leader checklist
Checklist before every session
- Make sure everyone has enrolled for the series, using the provided coupon code. Direct members to enroll here.
- Make sure everyone has downloaded and printed out the workbook. Remind everyone to have it with them for the session.
- For in person gatherings, have the host set up and test internet connection to this site. Consider connecting a laptop to a larger screen if possible. Test the sound and playback for the video segments.
- Have a timer and note the time allotted for each non-video segment. Keeping the small group on track time-wise is a key function of the small group leader.
- Allocate time for other aspects of the small group experience that are not covered in the sessions (e.g. ice-breakers, announcements, celebrations, chatting, extra prayer time, etc.). Each session is designed to run approximately one hour.
- Preview the segments to get a sense of the flow of the session (in your preview, you don’t necessarily need to watch the videos in their entirety). Check session specific instructions below.
Tips for remote sessions
- We strongly encourage that everyone participate in the same mode (remote or in person). We have found that hybrid participation (where some people are remote and others are in person) can lead to frustrating experiences for both kinds of participants.
- Set up a video conference function (i.e., Zoom, Google Meet, etc.) to host all non-video segments. Zoom is best because it provides breakout. However, you will need an account that allows for 1 hour+ meetings (the free version only allows for 45 minutes).
- Make sure everyone is logged into this site, and knows to click “Complete and Continue” after every segment.
- Participants should watch the video segments on their own computer with video conference on mute. Playing video via one person’s screen share will likely cause a poor playback experience for everyone. Everyone should start watching the videos at the same time, so that people will be ready to connect for the other non-video segments at the same time.
- Prepare to setup breakout rooms for smaller discussion groups during the session. If you have never done this, we recommend practicing doing this at least once ahead of time.
- Note: Zoom only allows this functionality after session has started. Here are instructions on breakout rooms from Zoom.
- If using a conferencing solution that does not have breakout rooms, consider holding smaller discussion groups via separate phone calls. Distribute phone numbers ahead of time and assign the discussion groups (which will usually be in pairs or threes).
- Email a reminder to everyone to bring their workbook and a pen.
- If the group is meeting remotely, include in the email reminders about the video conferencing setup and how to log on to this site.
- Think through the process for Individual Exercise #1, which involves people going outside ideally. Don’t forget to remind people about the time allotment for this exercise (especially if you are meeting remotely).
- The passage for the small group discussion is printed in the workbook. However, in case some people forget their workbook, you could print out copies of that passage or have Bibles available.
- You may want to budget in extra time after this session for a check in discussion with the entire small group on how people are experiencing the series so far. This discussion can cover logistics (especially for remote groups) as well as the content.
- Email people ahead of time that the session begins with everyone sharing about their Anxiety Profile (from the in between session exercise from Session 3). The rest of session 4 builds off of the Anxiety Profile, so it is especially helpful for people to do this exercise before the session.
- The sharing in pairs for this session can feel vulnerable for some. Consider assigning pairs (versus random splitting up) for the best combinations.
- This session ends with 12 minutes for the entire small group to share and pray. If your small group schedule this week allows for extra time beyond the usual hour, you may want to allocate more time for group prayer.
- This session concludes with a short 5-question survey. You can complete the survey as a group, but it is most helpful for future participants if all group members login separately and complete it on their own (this can be done via smartphone).